New Parent Information
Welcome Letter and Pre-arrival Requirements
Are you counting down the days until you get here? We are. We are thrilled to have you join our vibrant and inclusive community. As you embark on this new chapter in your life, we want to extend a heartfelt welcome to you.
We are confident that at Principia College you will feel the deep love that comes from a community that celebrates your wholeness and your individuality, and that sees you as unlimited and capable of excellence in all you choose to do here. We are excited to get to know you and the unique talents, perspectives, and aspirations you are bringing with you to Elsah. Here you can expect that your creativity, your intellect, your character, and your spirituality will be encouraged and nourished. We are committed to providing a supportive environment where you can achieve all your goals and find great inspiration as a Principian throughout your college journey and beyond.
As a new student, we understand that you may have questions, uncertainties, or even a touch of nervousness. Rest assured that our faculty, staff, and students are here to guide and support you every step of the way. From orientation programs to academic and residential advisors, we have a range of resources in place to ensure your smooth transition and success.
And it all starts with Welcome Week...
Principia Welcome Week
Welcome Week is where you set up your new college home, get to know new peers, and begin to build trust with faculty and staff who will support you throughout your college experience. We believe this week is a critical one for your success at Principia College. In fact, arriving on campus for Welcome Week is an expectation set out in our College Catalog. During Welcome Week you will adjust to life on campus and take your first steps toward academic success.
By the end of Welcome Week, you will:
- Be settled into your room and House.
- Understand/set up the academic technology you’ll be using regularly.
- Be prepared for classes to begin.
- Have trusted faculty and residential staff you can go to for guidance.
- Know how to access academic, mental, and physical support resources.
- Have learned about academic and residential extra-curricular opportunities.
- Have made new friendships.
- Know your way around campus.
- Find inspiration for spiritual discovery.
- Feel like you belong and are valued at Principia College.
For details about Welcome Week activities, please see the schedule of events.
Pre-Welcome Week Requirements Check-list:
The following information is very important. Please read it carefully.
Every new student will need to complete the following requirements BEFORE arriving on campus for Welcome Week. Please pay attention to due dates, and note that for some requirements, students will not have access to their rooms until the requirement is completed.
- Housing option form (due July 15, 2023)
- Sexual violence prevention and substance use trainings (due 8.12.23 *required for room access)
- Magnus health portal information/forms (UPDATED/due 8.12.23).
- Insurance waivers, if needed (waiving early is highly recommended, waiver requests close on 9.15.23)
- Check your email regularly for additional action items that may be required from advising, athletics, or other departments.
We understand that there is much to do before your first day on campus. We are here to help. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Office of Student Life (StudentLife@principia.edu) for more information or with any questions you may have.
We look forward to welcoming you to campus soon!
Erin Rainwater JD,
Dean of Students
Dr. Meggan Madden,
Dean of Academics