Professor of Theatre
- MFA, Directing, Chicago College of Performing Arts at Roosevelt University
- BA, Principia College
- Send a message to Trish.
Trish has been a director, actress, and educator for over 20 years. In addition to her academic career, she maintains an active professional life directing shows outside of Principia for companies such as The Moving Dock Theatre Company in Chicago, Insight Theatre in St. Louis, and Bankside Repertory Theatre in Alton, IL. Trish is also the co-Founder and Artistic Director of Prism Theatre Company, a professional theatre in St. Louis whose mission is to promote the work of women and emerging artists, on stage and off, through the lens of theatre for the new world. Prism is a female-forward company and produces both new and classic works in an atmosphere of inclusivity where artists from all walks of life can come together to explore our common humanity. Most recently Prism has performed the world-premiere of Bandera, Texas by Lisa Dellagiarino Feriend and will produce a Festival of New Works focusing on Emerging Playwrights in September ’22.
Schmit is an expert teacher of the Michael Chekhov acting technique, which focuses on the actor's creative inner life. She has studied and taught this acting method since meeting her mentor, Chekhov Master Teacher Dawn Arnold, and has studied with three of Chekhov's original pupils—Master Teachers Joanna Merlin, Mala Powers, and Jack Colvin. Trish also has a great love of film directing and has co-created, executive produced, and directed the short comedy Bottom Little Theatre. She is also enjoying the development of her next film project, Girl’s Night Out.
"I have always loved teaching because it provides a platform to awaken the creative impulse within us all. I especially love the ensemble nature of teaching and the collaborative process that takes place in the classroom. And I frankly just love actors!"
- Women Directors in Film and Television
- Film Editing
- New works by women playwrights
CONTRIBUTIONS TO FIELD
- Co-Founder and Artistic Director of Prism Theatre Company
- Founding Member of The Moving Dock Theatre Company
- Founding Member of Bankside Repertory Theatre
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
- Stage Directors and Choreographers Society
- Michael Chekhov Association
- Association for Theatre in Higher Education
- 2 BroadwayWorld STL Nominations 2019 - Best Director of a Comedy and Best Ensemble Comedy for The Revolutionists
- BroadwayWorld STL 2017 Best Director of a Drama nomination for On Golden Pond
- BroadwayWorld STL 2016 Best Director of a Musical nomination for John and Jen
- BroadwayWorld STL 2015 Best Director of a Drama nomination for Spinning Into Butter
- Director – 2012 Best Associate Production for state of Illinois, KC-ACTF Region III festival
- Director – 2004 Best Participating Production for state of Illinois, KC-ACTF Region III festival
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
Recent theatre directing credits
- Bandera, Texas (Prism Theatre Company)
- The Revolutionists (Insight Theatre)
- Footloose (Theatre West)
- Hidden in this Picture (Bankside Repertory Theatre)
- Eleemosynary (Moving Dock Theatre)