Assistant Professor of Dance
- MFA Dance, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee Peck School of the Arts
- BFA, New York University Tisch School of the Arts
- Send a message to Erin.
Erin Lane teaches Ballet, Modern, Jazz, Dance History, World Dance Culture, Dance Composition, Dance as Movement, and directs the Spring Dance Production. She has trained and performed in Chicago and New York City (Merce Cunningham Studio, David Howard, Jocelyn Lorenzo) as well as abroad in Montreal, Canada, and Salzburg, Austria. Erin has danced professionally with contemporary companies ESS:Danceworks, SYREN Modern Dance, Leverage Dance Theatre, and numerous contemporary choreographers in New York City and St. Louis. Erin continues her performing career as a freelance dancer and choreographer in the St. Louis and Riverbend areas. In terms of dance education, she has served as a teaching artist, program director, lead instructor, choreographer, director of dance, and ballet curriculum development specialist in private studios and public schools in New York City, St. Louis, and the Metro East. Erin holds teaching certificates in the Vaganova Ballet Method, Progressing Ballet Technique Certified Instructor, Brain Compatible Dance Education, and holds a RYT200 certification.
Erin is passionate about increasing students’ dance literacy. She thrives on the process of engaging students in identifying their unique dance interests and strengths by developing their artistic and scholarly voices.
"Mind is the source of all movement . . ." (Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, p. 283). I love exploring that in dance classes physically and metaphysically.
- Using somatics and conditioning techniques/practices to support Western dance training.
- Dance History: tracing Eurocentric dance technique lineages through contemporary choreography and training; illuminate the African and Eastern movement aesthetics embedded in the development of American Ballet, Modern, Jazz, and Vernacular Dance
- International folk dances as community builders
- Developing improvisational practices.
- Using dance as a function of arts integration within traditional educational settings.
- Community-based site-specific choreography
CONTRIBUTIONS TO FIELD
- Served in a variety of directorial positions of dance schools and studios
- Choreography has been presented across the Metro East: Give Dance a Chance Festival, Mississippi Earthtones Festival, Perpetual Motion Dance Concert (Jacoby Arts Center), Audubon Riverlands (site-specific), and St. Louis Dance Festival
- Choreography for numerous children’s and collegiate musicals: Urinetown, Cinderella, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Godspell, Beauty and the Beast, Peter Pan
- MFA thesis concert, Beyond the Divide, marked the first site-specific dance concert in Alton, IL
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
- National Dance Education Organization
- Progressing Ballet Technique (PBT)
- J.S. Seidman Award for Excellence in the Field of Dance from NYU Tisch Dance
- Chancellor's Award from University of Wisconsin Milwaukee Peck School of the Arts