Professor of Religious Studies
Chair of the Religious Studies Program
- PhD, Biblical Studies, Union Presbyterian Seminary
- ThM, Columbia Theological Seminary
- MTS, Eden Theological Seminary
- BA, Principia College
- Send a message to Dr. Huff.
Dr. Barry R. Huff has conducted research on the Bible and its history of interpretation in locations ranging from New England and the United Kingdom to Belgium and the Middle East. Huff spent a term researching his dissertation at Oxford University, and he graduated with distinction from Union Presbyterian Seminary with a PhD in Biblical Studies. His dissertation explored how the book of Job engages with and transforms the language and theology found in the priestly texts of the Torah. Huff’s current writing on biblical interpretation in nineteenth-century New England is based on his archival research at the Congregational Library and Archives, Harvard Divinity School Library, Mary Baker Eddy Library, Massachusetts Historical Society, and New Hampshire Historical Society. Huff directed a study abroad program to Israel, Palestine, and Jordan, and he has lectured on Principia Lifelong Learning Trips to Greece, Israel, Palestine, and Jordan.
CONTRIBUTIONS TO FIELD
Delivered over 300 lectures across the United States and internationally
- Presented papers at Annual Meetings of the Society of Biblical Literature to the following sections: Bible and Visual Art; Ecological Hermeneutics; Recovering Female Interpreters of the Bible; Space, Place, and Lived Experience in Antiquity; Theology of the Hebrew Scriptures; and Wisdom in Israelite and Cognate Traditions
- Created 26 podcasts on the Ten Commandments, the Beatitudes, and the Lord’s Prayer
- Published numerous articles and co-edited Samuel E. Balentine’s Festschrift
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
- Society of Biblical Literature
- American Academy of Religion
- American Society of Church History
- Teacher of the Year, Principia College, 2013 and 2019
- Fellowships from the Massachusetts Historical Society, Mary Baker Eddy Library, New England Regional Fellowship Consortium, Schusterman Center for Israel Studies, Principia College, Union Presbyterian Seminary, and Eden Theological Seminary
- Ralph Colby, Jr. Award, George A. and Frances K. Andrews Award, Robert J. Glenn Memorial Award, and Mabel Axcy Dominick Bible History Award, Principia College
- Co-editor with Patricia Vesely, Seeking Wisdom’s Depths and Torah’s Heights: Essays in Honor of Samuel E. Balentine. Macon, GA: Smyth & Helwys, 2020.
- “Job the Priest: From Scripture to Sculpture.” Pages 327–53 in Seeking Wisdom’s Depths and Torah’s Heights: Essays in Honor of Samuel E. Balentine. Edited by Barry R. Huff and Patricia Vesely. Macon, GA: Smyth & Helwys, 2020.
- “From Societal Scorn to Divine Delight: Job’s Transformative Portrayal of Wild Animals.” Interpretation: A Journal of Bible and Theology 73 (2019): 248–58.
- “Mary Baker Eddy: Liberating Interpreter of the Pauline Corpus.” Pages 245–58 in Strangely Familiar: Protofeminist Interpretations of Patriarchal Biblical Texts. Edited by Nancy Calvert-Koyzis and Heather Weir. Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, 2009.