Professor in multidisciplinary studies
- PhD, English, Shakespeare Institute, University of Birmingham, UK
- MA, Northwestern University
- BS, Northwestern University
- Send a message to Dr. Steele.
Dr. Steele was the first faculty member at Principia College to develop the Multidisciplinary Studies program. Rather than sitting in a single department, Steele has served five different departments over three academic divisions. A professional actor and director for over three decades, Steele brings a sense of deep consideration and attention to detail to every subject he teaches. He is also a committed practitioner of "walk your talk," and remains actively involved in several fields while he serves on the faculty. This work has been recognized with awards from the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival, the International Academy of Dispute Resolution, and the Edinburgh International Fringe Theatre Festival.
- Early Modern Drama and Playwrights
- World History of Theatre and Performance
- Writing for the Stage and Screen
- Practice of Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Performance Technique and Improvisation
Contributions to Field
- Founder and Artistic Director, Bell and Dragon Theatre, Chicago, IL
- Founder and President, Apocrypha Productions, Chicago, IL
- Co-Founder and Producing Director, Bankside Repertory Theatre Company, Alton, IL
- Author of six professionally staged productions and plays
Memberships and Affiliations
- Actors' Equity Association
- Shakespeare Association of America
- Society of American Fight Directors
- International Academy of Alternative Dispute Resolution
Publications and Presentations
- The Merry Wives of Seoul, Edinburgh Fringe Theatre Festival, August, 2018.
- Silent Night, Holy Noelly, Bankside Repertory Theatre Co. December, 2016.
- “The Temenos of Re-authorization: When Production or Re-publication Cross the Line into Re-writing Shakespeare”—Paper, Re-authoring Shakespeare Seminar, 44th Annual Shakespeare Association of American Conference; New Orleans, LA, March 2016.
- A Dickens of a Tale, Bankside Repertory Theatre Co. December, 2015.
- “Training for Transformative Mediation”—Panelist, 7th Annual World Mediation Congress, ‘A Gathering of Mediators’ Plenary Discussion, H. Case Ellis, Moderator; Drake University Law Clinic, Des Moines, IA, November, 2015.
- “The Making of H4”—Panelist, Open Forum at the 49th Annual Chicago Film Festival, Chicago, IL, October, 2013.