Professor of Biology and Natural Resources
- PhD, Biology, Saint Louis University
- MS, Kansas State University
- BS, Principia College
- Send a message to Dr. McAllister.
Dr. Christine McAllister joined the Department of Biology and Natural Resources in 1999 and is currently serving as head of the Math and Natural Sciences Unit. Her courses focus on botany, plant ecology, and conservation genetics, and she also maintains an active research program in these fields, centered around engaging undergraduate students in research. A big proponent of Principia's study abroad programs, McAllister has led numerous programs to New Zealand, Yellowstone National Park, and Dominica.
- Grassland ecology
- Plant ecophysiology
- Plant population genetics
National Science Foundation grant DEB-1427769, Evolution of dispersal and pollination in ecologically dominant grasses. PI: Elizabeth Kellogg (Danforth Plant Science Center), 2014
Undergraduate Research Grant (for involving undergraduate students in research), Principia College, 2012 and 2013
Best Poster, Genetics Section, Botanical Society of America, 2012
Faculty Research Grant, Principia College, 2012
Memberships and Affiliations
- Botanical Society of America
- National Association of Biology Teachers
Publications and Presentations
- McAllister, CA and AJ Miller. 2016. "SNP discovery via genotyping-by-sequencing for assessment of population genetic structure and recurrent polyploidization in big bluestem (Andropogon gerardii)." American Journal of Botany 103:1314–1325.
- Thompkins, RD, CA McAllister, and S Bloom. 2015. "Ploidy levels for some remnant eastern big bluestem (Andropogon gerardii) populations: implications for their conservation and restoration." Ecological Restoration 33:289–296.
- McAllister CA, RA Blaine, P Kron, B Bennett*, H Garrett*, J Kidson*, B Matzenbacher*, A Glotzbach*,and AJ Miller. 2015. "Environmental Correlates of Cytotype Distribution in Andropogon gerardii (Poaceae)." American Journal of Botany 102:92–102.
*Principia undergrad co-authors
For additional publications and presentations, please see the CV below.