Our interdisciplinary minor provides an opportunity to focus on issues and problems related to local and global sustainability. You'll join a community of students, faculty, and staff committed to seeking solutions to some of the world’s most pressing challenges, including climate change, energy security, species extinction, and equitable global development.
Why Study Sustainability at Principia College?
- We work with students to develop transferable skills, such as systems thinking, “triple bottom line” problem solving, leadership, and communication skills.
- Our students design and implement sustainability projects on campus. Beekeeping, aquaponics, permaculture, water and energy use, recycling, composting, land stewardship, and community outreach are just a few examples.
- Our students get involved in operational policies by developing green purchasing standards, zero waste road maps, and greenhouse emission targets.
- We support student travel to regional, national, and international conferences.
- Our students visit and network with a variety of organizations involved in sustainable business or product design, green building, renewable energy, social entrepreneurship, conservation biology, and sustainable development.
- We’ve developed career-related internships and community service opportunities in state government and at the Owl Research Institute, Three Rivers Community Farm, AmeriCorps, The Willows, and the Evergreen Institute, for example.
- We provide stipends for students to partner with faculty on research projects, such as studying the home range and habitat use of the timber rattlesnake in Principia’s forests.
- Our students join the student-run Sustainability Club and often serve as house eco-heads.
- We support students in earning professional credentials, such as the LEED Green Associate credential, Permaculture Design Certificate, or Home Energy Auditor license.
- Become part of Principia College's Center for Sustainability.
Our abroad programs are open to all majors, and students are encouraged to apply for any abroad program that interests them. All abroads involve individual research that students can tailor to their interests. The Finland Abroad, with a focus on education and sustainability, is especially popular with our minors.