What is PrinAlert?
PrinAlert relays emergency messages to community members. The messages can be text messages, voice recordings you hear on your phone or in your voice mailbox, or email messages.
Why is Principia College implementing this system?
Alerting community members promptly and thoroughly in emergency situations is important for our community. We want everyone to have the opportunity to take the appropriate physical and metaphysical action.
Each alert "method" (phone, text, email, word-of-mouth, etc.) reaches some people, but not all. A diversity of notification methods is best for reaching as many people as quickly as possible.
What’s the most important thing for me to know about PrinAlert?
The fastest way to reach you through this system is with cell-phone (SMS) texting. Because Principia currently doesn’t maintain a reliable record of your cell phone number, we hope all community members will enter their cell-phone numbers on the self-service page linked below. If you're an employee, please enter your work phone also. Self-Service page linked here.
- You will use your Principia email address and your Principia ID (without the hyphen – P0198765) to login.
- Enter the same cell number once in the field labeled “Mobile Phone” and again in the field labeled "SMS Phone."
What vendor is providing this service?
Blackboard (the same company that provides Principia’s Blackboard Learning System) also provides this separate product called Connect ED.
What kinds of emergencies does PrinAlert cover?
We intend to notify you in situations like these:
- Hostile intruder
- Extreme weather alert
How often will I experience a PrinAlert message?
After initial testing is complete this Fall, there will be two tests each year. Other colleges that use this system as we intend, report using it 2-4 times each year. Our actual number will depend mostly on the number of emergencies.
What contact information will PrinAlert have about me?
Principia preloads the PrinAlert system with basic contact information for students and employees. Principia encourages participants to add additional information such as cell phone number and alternate email. Participants may also change or even remove this additional information at any time.
The basic contact information PrinAlert will contain for you includes:
- Principia ID
- First Name
- Last Name
- Principia email address
- Principia Student Phone # (if you’re a student)
Participants may also provide:
- Cell phone
- Office phone (if you’re an employee)
- Home phone (if you live nearby)
- Alternate email (if you wish)
How can I be sure that contact information is private and safe with BlackBoard?
Blackboard has provided a 4-page document titled “Blackboard Connect Security Capabilities Statement.”
The document states in part:
Blackboard Connect follows the strictest possible protocols to ensure data protection. Therefore:
- We do not sell, trade, lease or loan any data about its customers to any third party;
- Are not a source of, nor does it deliver, any unsolicited e-mail, unsolicited voice mail or unsolicited faxes;
- Do not sell or provide information to direct marketers or any other third parties;
- We only use the institution’s contact information to correspond with institution users as necessary and if requested, to resolve problems that the institution encounters, and to improve customer service; and,
- Blackboard Connect does not disclose any client information except as mandated by law enforcement authorities and government agencies.
Why does the Blackboard self-service page require my Principia ID for a password and why can’t I change it?
Blackboard does plan an update for its self-service page that will allow users to manage their own passwords. In the meantime, rest assured that the password you enter here is not shared with others or other organizations.
How do I get help if I have trouble with the Blackboard Self-Service page?
Call the College CIS HelpDesk at 5600.
What do I do if I’m not notified during a test?