- Majors and Minors
- Experiential Learning
- First Year Experience
- Resources and Support
- About Us
- Campus Life
- Admissions Counselors
- Financial Aid
- Admitted Students
John J. O’Hagan
"Several years ago I was asked by a friend to guest direct a production of Fiddler on the Roof for a small college in southern Idaho. That experience pointed me in a new direction professionally, as I was profoundly struck by what an invigorating artistic process it was to work with young artists."
John O'Hagan teaches acting, directing, auditioning, and stage combat. He also serves as the head of the Creative Arts and Communication Unit. Prior to his appointment to Principia, O'Hagan taught for five years at the University of Wyoming and was the education director for the Idaho Shakespeare Festival for nine years.
O'Hagan has worked professionally as an actor and director for numerous companies including Oregon Shakespeare Festival, Idaho Shakespeare Festival, Idaho Theatre for Youth, Idaho Repertory Theatre, Insight Theatre Company, Snowy Range Summer Theatre, Theatre West, Off Square Repertory Theatre, Wyoming Shakespeare Festival, Boise Contemporary Theatre, Portland Repertory Theatre, Artists Repertory Theatre, and Portland Actors Conservatory. He has also worked in commercials, voice over, and small films.
- Devised theatre
- Irish theatre
- Stage combat as actor training
Contributions to Field
- Regular production respondent for the Kennedy Center/American College Theatre Festival
- Founding member of Bankside Repertory Theatre Company
- Several Certificates of Merit for directing from the Kennedy Center/American College Theatre Festival
- Extraordinary Merit in Teaching awards from the University of Wyoming and University of Idaho
- Mayor's Award for Excellence in Arts Education
Memberships and Affiliations
- Actors' Equity Association
- Society of American Fight Directors
- Theatre Communications Guild
- Association of Theatre in Higher Education
Presentations and Performances
O'Hagan regularly presents workshops and serves on panels for the Kennedy Center/American College Theatre Festival. Recent performances include:
- Role of Ross in Spinning into Butter, Insight Theatre Company, St. Louis, 2015
- Role of Ghost of Marley in A Dickens of a Tale, Bankside Repertory Theatre Company, Alton, 2015
For additional presentations and performances, please see the CV below.