Career Conference Schedule of Events
MONday, january 12, 2015
- Welcome—Prayer and your job search, by an outside guest. Sets the tone of the entire conference and provides a basis-of-thought for attendees.
- Inspirational Presentation—Attendees start learning about the job search process by confirming the spiritual basis of all right activities. An outside guest shares inspiring suggestions for a prayer-based job search.
TUESDAY, JANUARY 13, 2015
- What Can I Do With a Major In ... — In this session, attendees will hear about the myriad of careers, professions, and other opportunities that are open to ALL academic majors. Find out, literally, how you can "get any job with any major."
- The Hidden Job Market—Learn how most jobs never are advertised, and how successful job-seekers find incredible opportunities by "talking with people, NOT with computers."
- Self-Directed Job Search—In this session, attendees learn the “nuts and bolts” of successful job searches. Networking, informational interviews, using the internet properly, “100 leads,” and more.
- Graduate School—In this session, you'll learn the "good and bad" about applying for graduate school. How to find the university that's right for you ... how to get in ... and how to pay for it!
wednesday, january 14, 2015
- Social Media and Your Job Search—LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and other social/professional media are becoming an ever more important parts of a successful job search. Learn how to use them properly, and how common mistakes can hurt your job Search.
- LinkedIn Development—This is a "hands on" session where each conference attendee will develop or upgrade his/her LinkedIn account. Learn how to take full advantage of this powerful career development tool.
- Building Your Resume and Cover Letter—Learn about writing a “killer” resume that opens doors and gets interviews. Functional and chronological formats; what to include, what NOT to include, and more.
thursday, january 15, 2015
- Interviewing and Negotiating—Learn how to conduct yourself at an interview and get the job! Everything from creating a positive first impression ... to how to dress ... to how to ask the right questions. And, learn how to get the salary and benefits you want.
- Informational Interviews—Each conference attendee has a one-on-one telephone “informational interview” with a Principia alumni or friend. Your chance to speak, first hand, with someone who knows the field in which you’re most interested.
- Mock Interviews—Participate in a “real” interview with a visiting professional. Your chance to put into practice what you’ve been learning. Each interview is videotaped, then critiqued by a Principia faculty or staff member, immediately afterward.
- Networking Reception—Your chance to join with other conference attendees and invited guests in a formal “cocktail” reception where you can network with leading professionals.